28 December 2010

The Joys of Teaching

So now that I have gotten settled in Washington, I’ve started teaching the little kids bjj class and started helping with the Juinior Adults bjj class at my gym. I’ve got to say it some of the most rewarding things I have ever done. The kids class has students from the ages of 3-6 and the junior adults are 7 and up. The kids though never cease to amaze me. I’ve always been stunned at the young kids i see competing bnut the more i teach the move i realize that if you get kids into jiu jitsu and sports at a young age the faster their coordination evolves, the more outgoing, and confident they become. Bailey is the pack leader of the 3-6 year olds, she has been in jiu jitsu the longest out of them and not only knows tons of technique, she can shrimp better than most of the adults. She also loves to help fix the other kids techniques. Nico is the youngest at 3 but even he amazes me with how much he can do and how easily he picks up the training. The junior adults are great too1 if they do any little thing wrong as soon as we tell them how to correct it they have it down! Some of them are too smart for their own good. They love to compete, love to play jiu jitsu games, and just generally shock us with their technique on a daily basis. Anyway enough talking here are some videos of the kids and i will definitely be talking more about these awesome kids.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I enrolled my nephews in BJJ with me when they were 9 and 10 years old. They practiced for a year before losing interest but they picked up technique at a speed that dazzled me.

    My oldest nephew (now 12) recently told me he went to a birthday party and some of the bigger kids were horse-playing and grabbed him from behind. He used what he learned to break the bear hug, tripped his 'attacker' and then subdued him. They left him alone after that.

    I felt great knowing that I was able to pass BJJ down by enrolling him in a sport/art I love.

    ReplyDelete