09 July 2010

Athlete Spotlight: 4 Junior Adults

In an effort to start giving exposure to BJJ'ers who you may not normally hear from, I’m going to start doing an Athlete Spotlight. This first one will be from four students from Marcello Monteiro’s Junior Adult class. These are the pre-teen/ teenage student who have their own class and are allowed to train with the adults some. So we have Mikey Garcia, 14; Hollie Miller, 14; Beca Stockman, 11; and Edwin Calderon, 15. They all agreed to be interviewed and are definitely god hard working jiu jitsu students.

Hollie Miller The Teacher

After coming back from Spain I met Hollie, who was an energetic girl in the Junior adult class. She was part of the first women’s only classes, and now it is normal to see Hollie helping out with the kids’ class before her own class even starts. At every class she is smiling, and when she spars she give the guys a hard time, and even some of the adults.

How old are you?  I’m 14.

What belt are you?  I’m a gray belt.

How long have you been training Bjj? What made you start?

I’ve been in bjj for about a year. my dad saw it and thought it would be good for me so I tried it and I really liked it.

Do you train any other martial arts, or play other sports?

I used to play volleyball but I’m not going to in high school.

How has Bjj helped you?

It’s helped me become more confident.

Have you competed? how did it go? 

I have competed. I lost. I was nervous before and after I was upset, but I expected that. I didn’t have the best time. I mostly did it because my dad really wanted me to. I don’t think I’m going to do it again any time soon.


Who do you look up to in Bjj?

I don’t particularly look up to anyone.


Is there anything else you would like to add?

BJJ is an amazingly fun sport and I recommend it to all of my friends, but they don’t listen to me. ha ha.

handb  36373_1500382672883_1333670797_1358358_3338967_n 35681_135688406446286_123295837685543_392431_6920530_n

Mikey Garcia The Gym Rat

Mikey is a Gym Rat in the very best sense of the word. He is there every day, training in every class he is allowed to take. He has shown as much dedication as you would see in a professional athlete, and it pays off. He’s a big kid for his age, but Mikey gives every adult he goes against a surprise not only is he strong but technical, and he helps make every one of his teammates better.

How old are you?  14

What belt are you?  Gray

How long have you been training Bjj? What made you start?

15 months. My Mom saw Marcello’s car with his advertisement on it and told me about it. My Dad and I went to the academy and I signed up that day.

Do you train any other martial arts, or play other sports? 

Hockey, Muay Thai, MMA

How has Bjj helped you?

I’m in better shape, I’m able to control my anger better

Have you competed? how did it go?

yes, I lost both matches. [I was] Very nervous and afterwards disappointed. I'm looking forward to competing again. After the competition I worked on what I did wrong.

Who do you look up to in Bjj?

Marcello, Blake, Junior, Katie, Jake, Hawaiian

Is there anything else you would like to add?

mand clmikeyedwin mk

Beca Stockman- The Legacy.

At the age of 11 Beca is easily taller than the junior adults, and as tall as most of the adults. She has been around brazilian jiu jitsu since she was a baby, her father is a brown belt, and her mother is from Brazil. With her always being around it Beca naturally started doing jiu jitsu, and for her age is surprisingly strong and technical.

How old are you? I’m 11.
What belt are you? I’m a 2 striped gray belt.
How long have you been training Bjj? What made you start?

I’ve been in bjj for about a year. I did it because I had grown up around the sport and finally decided to try and sort of fell in love with it after my first class.

Do you train any other martial arts, or play other sports?

I’ve played basketball for the past four years.

How has Bjj helped you?

It’s helped my confidence and it helps me keep in shape.

Have you competed? how did it go?

I haven’t competed but I want to!

Who do you look up to in Bjj?

Mo one specific but I do look up to higher belts.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

BJJ is an extremely fun sport that really increases your confidence and keeps you in shape while having fun and making friends in the process!(dont put this on the blog but I think I’m sounding like my dad while he’s making a sale)

Sorry Beca I had to put it…

mbh 11444_1279593113282_1333670797_828685_2551286_n25722_1409461839919_1333670797_1143531_6838830_n 

Edwin Calderon The Pioneer

Edwin started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at 11 and was the first kid in class. He has been training a few months longer than me, and can pull off black belt moves without hesitation. At his first tournament he went for a flying arm bar, but his opponent fell to the ground before Edwin could complete it. Although he is small for his age, Edwin is extremely fast, and very technical. He soaks up everything like a sponge and even if he is at a weight disadvantage he make up for it in heart.

How old are you?  I am 15 years old

What belt are you? I am a green belt

How long have you been training Bjj?

I have been training bjj for the past 4 and a half years

What made you start?

what made me start was that I wanted to learn self defense and I want to fight in the future

Do you train any other martial arts, or play other sports?

I did judo for 6 months and right now I am training boxing.

How has Bjj helped you?

bjj has help me improve my strength, keeps me out of trouble, and it has help me meet good people.

Have you competed? how did it go?

I have competed 5 times, I got first in two tournaments and 2nd in 3 tournaments.

Who do you look up to in Bjj?

I look up so many great people that it is hard to mention any names.

Is there anything else you would like to add? I love training with Marcello C. Montiero team together we all make a great team and i feel like a great future training with team Marcello.

 29981_125403104160363_100000720236244_164252_4487646_s28259_101911999860064_100001237927602_11297_320679_n 34333_1399055651476_1084807299_31090343_5133194_n

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome, sounds like a great group of people right there. There is hope for the future since truly this world is borrowed from the next generation.

    ReplyDelete